Your Dental Home
We are ATX Dental Specialty Group, where dental specialties come together to offer you the most comprehensive and specialized dental care around! Our main objective is to provide a welcoming and comfortable environment in order to develop a long-term relationship with you and your family. Every person’s situation is unique, which is why we are firm believers that there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all dentistry! To have your questions answered about our dentistry endodontics services, come into our office, or contact us by phone at (512) 441-6200 to find a qualified South Austin Dentist.
From routine cleanings to emergency dental services, our highly trained team at ATX Dental Specialty Group works around the clock to provide personalized and quality care to you. We believe in sincere and honest communication between every member of our staff and you, in order to provide you with optimum dental care. From infants to adults, our goal is to help every patient enjoy the beautiful smile they deserve! Our pedodontists have invested more time in their education and expertise, so you receive the highest level of care. Whether your looking for endodontics or another form of dental service we can help.
& Healthy Smile at Any Age!
When your general or family dentist recommends that you visit a specialist for further dental treatment, Austin Dental Specialty Group is the place for you. We proudly serve the communities of Austin, Round Rock, San Marcos, Kyle, Buda, and Oak Hill. To schedule an appointment for dentistry at our Austin office or to submit your referral at one of our 3 endodontists specialty office locations in Austin, Round Rock and San Marcos, call us today at (512) 441-6200. For information regarding our Bee Cave Location please visit us at BC Soft Touch Dental.
“This whole experience was a breath of fresh air. The office itself was beautiful and inviting and the front desk staff was very welcoming and completely explained my dental insurance coverage to me. The dental assistants were very kind and made me feel relaxed. Dr. Khosravian was very informative and caring and I had very little discomfort. I would highly recommend this office to anyone!”
Mike B. | Austin , TX
“I was in pain and the first seven in network providers I called were not very accommodating. I thought I was going to wait several days (with this unbearable pain) before I could get an appointment. When I called the Root Canal Specialists, it was like being in opposite land. Jenelle answered the phone directly (no automated system) and she was more than empathetic, she was compassionate. She said she would talk to the Dr. and give me a call back. She called me back three times in an hour and a half to assure me she was still working on it. They made an arrangement to see me that day, and the Dr, and two of his staff stayed an hour after closing to take care of me. They gave me the exact amount of my co-pay before providing service so there would be no surprise. I’d recommend ATX for anyone looking for an Austin Pedodontist”
Victor P. | Austin , TX
“Dr. Pedram Khosravian and his friendly and professional team retreated one of my root canals – a treatment that I’m confident reduced the future potential of decay in the affected area. At both of my appointments, Dr. Khosravian requested feedback during treatment and kept me updated on the treatment progress. I highly recommend Dr. Khosravian and his team!”
John S. | Austin , TX
“This is the first endodontics specialist office I’ve worked at and I absolutely love it. The Dentist here are great they take there time explaining everything to their patients so they have a full understanding of what needs to be done, they’re quick during treatment and relieving their patients from tooth pain and they’re really nice and outgoing on top of all of that. Overall great experience, I would recommend this Austin endodontics specialist office to friends, family, even strangers :).”
Jackie C. | Austin , TX
Video – Austin endodontics
Our Dental Office?
- Emergency Service Available
- Reachable Office At Most Hours
- Specially Trained For Pediatric Dentistry
- Expertly Qualified For Endodontic Surgery
- Austin’s Best Pedodontist
Best Endodontics Austin
The vast majority of dental work, including most root canal treatments, are done by general dentists. Patients generally have a good relationship with their regular dentist, and especially for those patients who are fearful of getting complex work done on their teeth, this relationship can be invaluable.
However, every dentist will encounter situations where a patient needs to be referred to a specialist, and for root canal work that specialist is an endodontist.
Increasingly, patients themselves are making this choice, and so it is worth being aware of the reasons why they would do so. Many patients simply feel – rightly or wrongly – that a specialist root canal dentist will make a better job of the required treatment. Others feel that endodontists are more highly trained, and therefore will perform better work.
Whilst it is understandable that patients would choose an endodontist for specialist root canal treatment, especially in cases where this treatment is expected to be complex, many patients end up paying increased endodontist fees for treatment that could have been more than adequately performed by their regular dentist.
Let’s look at some of the advantages offered by each type of dentist.
Advantages – Austin Endodontics Reviews
- Greater expertise. Endodontists typically have the same level of education and training as a regular dentist, plus and additional few years of training at a graduate school that is entirely focused on performing root canal treatment. In addition, most endodontists perform more of this type of treatment than a regular dentist, and gain expertise in this way. Note, however, that endodontists may not be more clinically skilled in performing this work, as this is something which comes from general experience.
- More advanced equipment. Most endodontic practices focus fully on root canal treatments, and the higher fees they charge for this work allows them to buy equipment specially designed for the purpose. Nowadays, it is not unusual to see surgical microscopes and possible even 3D X-Ray imaging in use.
- Higher diagnostic skill. The combination of the two factors above – greater experience combined with advanced equipment – generally leads to endodontists being able to diagnose conditions more easily. This is especially true for complex root canal problems, because it is likely that your typical endodontist has already seen almost any type of complication that can occur.
- Higher treatment success rates. Research studies suggest that the success rate for treatment completed by endodontists is marginally higher than that of the same work done by general dentists. This effect is more pronounced for certain types of teeth, but holds true across the board.
- More advnced pain management. This can be very important for patients who are anxious about getting root canal treatment. Endodontists, having completed dozens of these procedures, are generally better able to anticipate and manage any pain produced by the treatment.
All in all, endodontists are a good option for patients who are reassured by the fact they are seeing a specialist, or for patients with complex needs. However, it is explicitly not the case that every patient, or every root canal treatment, needs an endodontist.
Let’s look now at the advantages offered by a general dentist when performing root canal work:
South Austin Endodontics
- Lower fees. This can be the deciding factor for a lot of patients. It remains the case that endodontist fees can be significantly higher than those for a general dentist. This is true even where the two dentists are performing exactly the same work, and using exactly the same equipment. If a patients’ root canal treatment is likely to be quite straightforward, it is possible for them to save a significant amount of money by sticking to their regular dentist. For more info check our South Austin Page.
- Believe it or not, but many patients have an really good relationship with their dentist, even those patients who are anxious about getting work performed on their teeth. Having a familiar face can really calm patients undergoing what can be quite a stressful procedure. In addition, if a dentist’s staff already know the patient, they are more likely to be more accommodating in terms of billing, insurance issues, and scheduling.
- If a patient lives in a rural part of the country, it may be that there is simply no endodontist available. If they want to seek out such specialist services, they might have to travel to the nearest metropolitan area. On the other hand, dentists in isolated communities tend to be experienced with a wide range of procedures and equipment, as they often have to perform all the dental work required by their community.
- Having one dentist perform all the work required by a patient has great advantages in terms of clinical continuity. A patient’s regular dentist is likely to know the history of a patient’s past complaints, and it may be that these are useful in performing root canal treatments.
There are many reasons why patients may choose to get their root canal treatment done by an endodontist, or why regular dentists might refer a patient to one. Many patients feel that having a specialist work on their teeth will reduce the likelihood of complications. Others, and especially those who are anxious about visiting their dentist, may assume that endodontists will be able to manage their pain better.
In actuality, the research done on success rates of procedures carried out by both endontists and general dentists shows very little difference between them. These studies have generally been of small numbers of patients, and for every piece of research showing improved outcomes in patients who visit endodontists, there is a paper showing the opposite.
This suggests that the current system is quite well balanced. Typically, most general dentists will perform routine root canal treatments themselves, and refer what may be difficult cases to an endodontist. Similarly, patients who are more anxious about receiving such treatment will seek out an endodontist, and this can help to reduce their fears.
In both cases, the patients who require the services of an endodontist receive them, whilst those who do not need specialist services gain the advantages of seeing their regular dentist.